- NUMBER ONE GENETIC KILLER of
infants and children under the age of two.
- 1 in 6,000 live births affected
YEARLY by SMA.
- One in Forty ADULTS carries the
SMA gene, most unknowingly.
- THERE IS NO CURE.
- SMA is a genetic disorder that
affects all voluntary muscles in the body.
- SMA is an inherited condition in
which both parents carry one defective gene, but exhibit no symptoms;
their children have a 1 in 4 or 25% chance of inheriting SMA
- SMA is a group of inherited and
sometimes fatal diseases that robs children and adults of basic
functions most take for granted, such as swallowing, breathing, neck
control, hugging, crawling and walking.
- SMA causes the muscles to atrophy
because something is wrong with the anterior horn cells which reside
in the spinal cord and are the main motor nerves that control function
of the muscles
- Children with SMA are intelligent
and sensitive, and unusually sociable.
- Most people have never heard of
SMA. Please help us to change this horribly sad fact.