- NUMBER ONE GENETIC KILLER of infants and
children under the age of two.
- 1 in 6,000 live births affected YEARLY by
- One in Forty ADULTS carries the SMA gene,
- THERE IS NO CURE.
- SMA is a genetic disorder that affects
all voluntary muscles in the body.
- SMA is an inherited condition in which
both parents carry one defective gene, but exhibit no symptoms;
their children have a 1 in 4 chance of inheriting SMA
- SMA is caused by mutations in the
Survival Motor Neuron (SMA1) gene.
- SMA is a group of inherited and sometimes
fatal diseases that robs children and adults of basic functions most
take for granted, such as swallowing, breathing, neck control,
hugging, crawling and walking.
- SMA causes the muscles to atrophy because
something is wrong with the anterior horn cells which reside in the
spinal cord and are the main motor nerves that control function of
- Children with SMA are intelligent and
sensitive, and unusually sociable.
- Most people have never heard of
SMA. Please help us to change this startling, sad fact.